This Greek Revival house was built around 1840 by Jira Payne, owner of the Atlas sawmill. The twin fluted Ionic columns, flanked by square Doric piers, were hand hewn from trees on this property. Owned by the George Pomeroy family from 1848 to 1858, the house, known as Pomeroy Hall was a center of social life in Clinton.
In 1862, John Smith, a Clinton merchant and community leader purchased this house where he lived until his death in 1886. Smith's son Edwin and daughter-in-law Euphenia resided here with their daughter Blanche and her husband, Leander W. Kimball. In 1891-1892 they remodeled extensively by adding second stories to the wings and stained-glass windows.
After Leander Kimball died in 1955, Blanche donated the property to the residents of Clinton for use as a community center. On February 11, 1968, a fire broke out in the rear of the building causing $100,000 in damages. The building was restored with some alterations, primarily to the second floor.
Copyright © 2022 Smith-Kimball Community Center - All Rights Reserved.